Saturday, April 9, 2011

Grrr packaging

I must admit that the only part about this hobby that I hate is the packaging. Bottling drives me nuts, it is so hard to get motivated to actually do it. I do enjoy kegging cause for a lazy man like me the math makes sense, 40 or 50 bottles, or 1 Keg. Hmmmm, no brainer. Well why don't I keg, well cause I don't have anywhere to serve my kegs from right now. I used to have a second temperature controlled deep freeze for serving and storing beers in, but since I have moved a couple times in the last few years I have lost one. So my next project is going to be to build a kegerator, I'll document it on here.

Well all that being said I was busy bottling this morning. I had 2 beers in my cellar that I had to get bottled. They have both been lagering for over a month so they should be well ready. These are two of the beers that I am gonna send to some facebook friends that answered a little status thing I put up. What I will be sending them is a Dusseldorf Alt and a Bohemian Pilsner. The Alt turned out a little low, and easy to drink. The Pils turned out really good to me, well balanced with the Saaz hops up front and a nice malt finish. I hope they enjoy them. Ended up with 48 bottles from the 2 three gallon batches, with 24-335ml bottles and 24-500 ml bottles. Oh and two 1L bottles about 3/4 full.

So the next post might be notes on the tasting of both beers after they have carbonated up. If not it'll be my next brew which is gonna be a Wit.

Laters

Dave

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you back! I was about to yank your blog off my blogroll since it's been almost two years since you updated last.
    I hate bottling as well. I'm so thankful for the kegerator that I built from a Danby DAR440BL. It's the perfect size for two kegs and a 5 lbs. CO2 tank.
    The unfortunate part is that I find naturally carbonated beer in a bottle seems to taste a touch better than artificially carbed beer in a keg. I've been experimenting with naturally carbonating in kegs, but it keeps turning out way over-carbed.

    ReplyDelete